Interested in a career with an independent insurance agency, but don’t have agency experience…..
That’s ok. Because insurance is so important to the economy and our way of life, the industry requires the service of millions of educated, talented and motivated men and women. It offers exceptional career opportunities to those who have a strong desire to succeed and who enjoy diverse challenges and interactions with a variety of businesses and individuals.
With or without experience, here are some of the attributes an independent insurance agency will be looking for. Since each position requires different core skills and personal attributes, two of the most common positions hired for in an agency are highlighted below.
One author reduced the makeup of a good producer to the following four characteristics:
- Ego: the competitive drive to succeed
- Empathy: the ability to relate to others, offsetting the large ego drive
- Economic drive: the desire to succeed financially
- Energy: tireless worker
Broken down into core skills and personal attributes, the Caliper Human Strategies associate the following with a successful producer:
- Core Skills – Problem solving and decision making, personal organization, leadership and interpersonal communications
- Personal Attributes – Assertiveness, confidence, empathy, self-discipline, responsibility, urgency, risk taking, people orientation, independence, conscientiousness, flexibility and energy
Account Manager (customer service)
Broken down into core skills and personal attributes, the Caliper Human Strategies associate the following with a successful account manager:
- Core Skills – Active listening, conflict resolution, problem solving, stress reduction, grammar and vocabulary and technical aptitude/experience
- Personal Attributes –Empathy, optimism, diligence, conscientiousness, assertiveness, flexibility and impulse control