A general lines life, accident, health and HMO license is required for any individual or entity that receives commission and is involved in the
- solicitation of, negotiation for, procurement of, or collection of premiums on an insurance contract offered by any type of insurance carrier authorized to sell life, accident or health insurance products, including fixed or variable annuity contracts or variable life contracts; or
- solicitation, negotiation, procurement, or effectuation of membership in a health maintenance organization.
A life agent license is required for an individual or entity that receives commission and is involved with insurance on human lives, including endorsement benefits and annuities and disability income.
An individual can be either (1) an agent with an appointment from an insurance company, or (2) a subagent with an appointment from another licensed agent or agency.
Special Requirements for Annuities
All Licensees must complete a four-hour annuity certification course before they begin selling or soliciting annuities. Anyone with a longevity exemption (20 years continuously licensed) is not exempt from this requirement.
If the original certification course is completed within the first twelve months of the license cycle, a certified four hour annuity continuing education course must be completed during the second twelve months of the license cycle. Licensees must continue to complete a certified four hour annuity continuing education course every twelve months, calculated from the date of the license renewal. Anyone with a longevity exemption is exempt from the continuing education requirement
Special Requirements for Medicare Related Products
Licensees must complete an eight-hour Medicare related products certification course before they begin selling or soliciting Medicare related products and must complete a certified four hour Medicare related products continuing education course during each license cycle.
Anyone with a longevity exemption (20 years continuously licensed) is not exempt from either the certification or the continuing education requirements.
Other Licenses Not Needed
A licensed life, accident, health and HMO agent will not need an additional license to transact the following types of business:
- Any line of insurance that can be sold under a limited life, accident and health license, including
- Prepaid legal services offered by non-profit legal services corporations, and
- Credit insurance;
- Funeral prearrangement; and
- Any line of insurance that can be sold under a specialty license, including
- Credit life, accident and property insurance, and
- Travel insurance.