General Lines Property and Casualty


A general lines property and casualty license is required for any individual or entity that receives commission and is involved in the solicitation of, negotiation for, procurement of, or collection of premiums on an insurance contract offered by any type of insurance carrier authorized to sell property and casualty insurance products, including:

  • A fidelity or surety company;
  • An inter-insurance exchange;
  • A mutual company, including a farm mutual or a county mutual;
  • A reciprocal exchange; or
  • A Lloyd's plan insurer.

An individual with this license can be either (1) an agent with an appointment from an insurance company, or (2) a subagent with an appointment from another licensed agent or agency.

Other Licenses Not Needed

A general lines property and casualty agent will not need an additional license to transact the following types of business:

  • Accident and health insurance for a property and casualty insurer authorized to sell those insurance products (life, accident, health and HMO license not required);
  • Any line of insurance that can be sold under a limited lines property and casualty license, including
    • Job protection insurance
    • Crop insurance
    • Any line of insurance authorized for a farm mutual insurance company
    • Prepaid legal services offered by non-profit legal services corporations (see note below), and
    • Credit insurance
  • Any line of insurance that can be sold by a county mutual insurance company;
  • Any line of insurance that can be sold under a specialty license, including
    • Credit life, accident and property insurance
    • Travel insurance

Note: To sell prepaid legal services plans offered by for-profit companies, a sales representative must obtain a license from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).