Governor Greg Abbott has approved waiving certain licensing requirements for insurance agents and adjusters at the request of the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). These measures will ensure services remain available during the state’s response to coronavirus COVID-19.
New and temporary licenses
Most testing and fingerprinting facilities are closed due to the coronavirus outbreak. To address that issue, TDI will:
- Issue temporary agent licenses, without required testing or additional fees. All training can be completed online, and fingerprints will be submitted later. Temporary applications should be submitted online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
- Temporary licenses will remain active until further notice.
- Waive the additional $100 fee for a temporary license.
- Issue only emergency adjuster licenses until testing and fingerprinting sites reopen.
License renewals and continuing education
For those with licenses set to expire in March or April, TDI will:
- Extend the time to renew a license by two months and waive late fees.
- Allow agents more time to complete continuing education and waive continuing education fines.