On Thursday, May 20, IIAT hosted the first Agents’ Roundtable, a monthly online discussion where agents discuss timely agency operations and leadership topics. During the roundtable, agents and IIAT staff discussed issues concerning COVID-19 and returning to the office. Here is a summary of the issues and insights that were discussed:
What is the biggest challenge agents faced during the pandemic?
- Getting their agencies running remotely and knowing which equipment and software to use
- Remote training and learning how to use remote meeting platforms
- Concerns with staying in compliance
- Communicating with clients who need advice
What is your agency’s current Return to Work status?
- Largely depends on geographic location and size of the agency
- Many agencies are taking it case by case with employees because some have thrived working from home while others prefer to be in the office.
- Some agencies currently require all employees to be back at work.
- Other agencies are staggering who is in the office at one time, but plan on having everyone back by the end of summer.
- Consensus is that most employees will be back in the office soon and can choose whether or not to wear a mask.
- Respect staff who still want to wear masks but will not require it in the office if you are fully vaccinated
- Encouraging staff to get vaccinated but nor making it a requirement
What is a practice you started during COVID that you will continue after?
- COVID showed the importance of disaster recovery and the ability to continue to serve customers.
- More communication. Because of more frequent check-ins, we are closer as a team.
- COVID showed that working remotely is possible and some agencies are now more willing to let employees work from home more often.
- Getting the office professionally cleaned and sanitized on a regular basis
If you could go back and do it again, what would you do differently?
- Be more prepared for working remotely and have the right equipment in place
- Dedicated more time to training staff on how to use video call platforms like Zoom
- Would have learned to password protect our video calls after a hacking incident
How have your agency culture and employee relationships changed as a result of COVID?
- We are closer because we have more check-ins each week.
- We are quicker to adapt to challenges.
- I feel one thing we are in danger of losing is our culture. Having an experienced agent is great when they are next to you but it’s tough remotely.
- We are much more direct in what we want and quicker to find solutions.
Attend the Next Agents' Roundtable - Growth & Marketing Tactics for 2021 and Beyond
Thursday, June 17, 2021 | 10-11 AM CT